Southern New Mexico Family Medicine Residency
Welcome to the Southern New Mexico Family Medicine Residency Program (SNMFMRP) website. The residency was established in 1996 and since then has placed over 50% of its graduates in New Mexico and west Texas, many in the immediate area. Our mission at the SNMFMRP is to utilize our highly trained, bilingual and diverse faculty to provide high quality and comprehensive medical education. Integrated Behavioral Health, Border Health and HIV care are some of our unique qualities. With this, the SNMFMRP produces compassionate, outstanding board-certified Family Physicians, dedicated to delivering high quality comprehensive care to the patients and families of southern New Mexico.
We believe that the health of a nation is built on the foundation of primary care, and we are dedicated to making this foundation strong for our community by training highly skilled family physicians.
Please take a moment to peruse our website, paying special attention to our online curriculum wiki, and areas of concentration. If you are a medical student interested in our program, make sure you check out our Rotation Opportunities link which will provide you with our application process for rotations (clerkships, electives, and sub-internships, etc.) as well as for our residency program. For our patients please visit our Patient Information link which provides educational material and physician schedules.
John Andazola, M.D., F.A.A.F.P
Overall Educational Goals
- Train fully competent and compassionate family physicians that are prepared to provide quality, comprehensive and continuous primary medical care to families.
- Prepare physicians to practice in rural and underserved areas of New Mexico.
- Train physicians to work in the context of a collaborative team.
- Develop the physician into a lifelong adult learner and educator.
- Train physicians to assume leadership roles in local communities, New Mexico and the nation.
- Provide the people of Southern New Mexico compassionate, quality care regardless of their resources.